Thursday, August 13, 2009

Burn Camp 2009







This is my 8th year at this camp. If you are one of the 2 people that read my blog then you know about my nephew Alex that was burned 11 years ago. So, this camp has a very very special place in my heart.

I went to the U at 9am for our staff training. In the past this is something that I dread because I have been a counselor for so long it's very repetitive for me. But this year it went by fast, and I was actually impressed with how smoothly it went. Brad, Ratch and Kristin are the directors of the camp and have the biggest hearts of anyone I know.

At about 3pm we headed up to the camp. The Boys Scouts are very generous and let us use Camp Tracy in Millcreek canyon for free. And I would like to personally thank them, they always are very good to us while we are there. We set up camp and the campers started showing up at about 5pm.

I had 2 campers this year and am not allowed to give names or their stories, for they are their stories to tell. But I enjoyed both girls very much, and miss them a lot. Every camper has a story and each is unique and very personal to me. I love these campers so much and they give me WAY more than I give them. This camp is a healing place for all of us.

Some things this year that I did and am way proud of are: Climbing the rock wall all the way to the top, participating in the skits, and not being terrified of the smelly canoe water.

Somethings I didn't like are: my camper taking pictures of me when I was not dressed, the magic show that comes every year needs to get some new tricks, no square dancing (i seriously love it!), and some small drama between me and another counselor.

I felt very much more involved in this camp than I have in the past. I am in a good place right now, and the future is looking bright.

Someone said this year that camp is more like family and I would have to agree. I have made so many friends that I have made there that the friendships and true and will last forever.

To the camp directors Brad, Ratch and Kristin....Thank you for letting me be a part of this. I am honored that you want me involved, and thank you for being such wonderful people and amazing examples to me. I am proud to call you my friends!!

To my friends...Brandy, Janette and Mitch (and all other counselors) I love you and thank you for your friendships. I enjoy seeing and spending camp with you. Thank you for your love!

I can't wait to do it again next year!


I can't post pics of the kids, but will have the link for the pics soon!

1 comment:

Young Family said...

That is really neat you get to be a part of this camp. How did your nephew get burned?